Wednesday, August 5, 2026


Praying the Covenant Word: The Psalms as the School of the Soul

The Psalms have effected in my own life a transformation so profound that I can only describe it in terms of upheaval: having committed three chapters to memory, I found myself overcome, undone to the point of tears, by an honesty of expression to which I had grown unaccustomed—an honesty that gave voice, without evasion, to pain, to lament, and even to curse. This rawness, far from alienating me, drew me nearer to the covenant Lord, for as I gave these words over to memory and to meditation, I came to understand that sanctification is itself pedagogical: God does not merely command conformity to His likeness but teaches it, and His demands, however exacting, arrive always accompanied by a love that does not withdraw when we fall short of them. I have found, in consequence, that I rarely voice my own confessions unaided; more often I pray in His words, since they carry a personal and truthful weight that my own extemporized language cannot supply. When disagreement with a teacher arose, or when some point of doctrine eluded my understanding, it was to the Psalms that I turned, trusting that these covenant prayers, given by the Spirit to the covenant community, would connect me more surely to the heart of God than any argument I might construct on my own.

This confidence rests upon a deeper conviction: that God, existing eternally as three persons in perfect and undivided unity, yet distinct in person, offers in His own triune life a pattern toward which human relationship and spiritual aspiration are properly drawn. Through the Psalms, this same God furnishes His covenant people with prayers designed to align the believer's scattered desires with a single divine purpose, uniting will and longing in a manner that no self-composed prayer could as readily achieve. These sacred songs disclose, with an intimacy that catechesis alone cannot supply, how attentively God regards the needs of His people—how eager He is to receive their cries, their hopes, and their praises—so that the Psalms become nothing less than a conduit through which the covenant community experiences the abiding presence and unfailing love of its Lord.

I have witnessed this mercy concretely in my own life, having been restored by God's provision from a state of grave illness—reduced, at one point, to a mere hundred and eighteen pounds and consigned to hospice care—to a present condition in which I walk with ease and have regained a healthy weight. This restoration I regard not as fortunate circumstance but as testimony to a grace that renews the body even as it renews the spirit, sustaining hope and faith where both had been nearly extinguished. I do not doubt that even the discernment granted to physicians, and whatever further understanding I myself have been given to pursue alongside their counsel, proceeds ultimately from the same God who opens paths where none appeared to exist, guiding me along a way suited uniquely to me and oriented, in the end, toward safety and fulfillment. Salvation, I have come to understand, is not exhausted in a single decisive moment but unfolds as a continuous process, marked by repeated deliverances in which God frees His people from what besets them; sanctification, likewise, consists not merely in adherence to a code of commands but in this ongoing, dynamic work of surrender, repentance, and transformation, without which the believer forfeits a deeper intimacy with the God who alone accomplishes it.

It is precisely here that a pragmatic conception of God—one that reduces Him to a manageable figure to be mastered through obedience, a deity of narrow and predictable dimensions—must be firmly resisted, for the God of Scripture is in every respect transcendent and mysterious, exceeding the full grasp of human comprehension even as He condescends to be known. Those who take seriously their relationship with such a God, I am convinced, will find themselves compelled to write and speak in ways that elevate and inspire, bearing evidence of a genuine and personal acquaintance with Him. I say this as one who has known marginalization: having been cast out and treated as an outsider, I found in God a friend more faithful and more compassionate than any human companionship I had been denied, and though the raw intensity of the Psalms' language proved, for a season, isolating even among fellow believers unaccustomed to such honesty, I discovered His presence to be more desirable than the approval of any who could not receive it. Let no one, then, be deceived by teachings that are merely pragmatic or superficial in their account of God; let each instead take up a single book of Scripture and return to it repeatedly, allowing its words to become so familiar that they rise unbidden to the lips, a guiding light through the difficulties of life.

This is, finally, a matter of conscience rightly ordered: for it is a settled principle of the Reformed faith that God alone is Lord of the conscience, and that no human authority may rightly usurp the place that belongs to Him. I have therefore refused to permit any man to dictate the whole of my conduct, not out of contempt for lawful counsel, but because true authority and guidance proceed from the indwelling presence of the God who has made His covenant people His own dwelling place, granting them a supernatural Teacher who leads them through every decision life demands. Faith, after all, is the assurance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen, and it is upon this unseen Person that trust must ultimately rest. John's Gospel teaches, in this connection, that spiritual maturity consists not in the accumulation of doctrine merely known about God but in the personal encounter of coming to know Him as one knows a person—a movement beyond the intellectual apprehension of truths to the direct, heartfelt communion in which the covenant relationship between God and His people finds its deepest and most enduring expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment